We Lost One Of The Crazy Ones

October 6, 2011 | News

I just want to add my saddened voice to the others out there today mourning the loss of Steve Jobs.

Yes… I’m an Apple fan boy. Proud to be so. I’ve been so for 15 years. I can never imagine using any other type of computer. Us photographers like to gather ’round the water coolers and talk about vision, branding, client experience, etc. Who did it better than Steve? What company can come close to Apple when you talk about vision, branding, and client experience? Steve was a leader and you can look around at a lot of things that are just trying to catch up.

Steve did a lot with his life. What are we doing with ours?

God’s speed Steve.

I found this fitting tribute image via twitter. It’s from a 19 year old designer named Jonathan Mak.

• Michael Montalto said on October 6, 2011

I’ve been in IT for the last 13 years of my life. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates have played a profound impact on my life. While I view the whole “mac vs pc” thing from a different view of most photographers due to my professional background in the technology space, no one can discount the life and story of Steve Jobs.

I’m not ashamed to say I found myself weeping this morning on the train as it really hit home that a great addition to the human race had passed away.

Bravo on your post Zack. I’m proud to say I’m a fan of yours.

mM

• Osvaldo said on October 6, 2011

Thanks for the post. That is exactly what I was thinking yesterday. Jobs only got to live to be 56, but who how many people can say that they changed the way most people live out their day in that time. He brought personal computers to light, changed the cell phone industry, and really created the tablet industry. Even though he only lived 56 years he made them count.

And unlike a lot of creative people he actually had the follow through to make his ideas happen. Not only make them happen but demand perfection and have excellent execution.

I’ve

• Bernardo Vaghi said on October 6, 2011

Steve changed our lifes forever, thank you mister innovation!

• Tony Drumm said on October 6, 2011

And we should remember his influence and contributions to story-telling and animation leading Pixar. Pixar always strikes me as story-first, technology and imaging second. No coincidence that this seems to be Jobs’ philosophy. Grab for the heart and the emotions. The rest just serves to meet that goal.

• jrdrake said on October 6, 2011

Great Post Zack… Godspeed Steve, we miss you already…

• Sue Bakkila said on October 6, 2011

What the designer may, or may not, have intended – is that Steve is looking in. Not out. He’s being introspective. Evaluating. Maybe we should all take a moment to look inside our own lives in figure what are we doing with ours.

• Russ Robinson - Band Photographer said on October 6, 2011

I can scarcely think of another person in the past 50 years who’s been anywhere close to the visionary and innovator that Jobs was. Tough loss, but his legend will endure. ~Russ

• Amy Jo said on October 6, 2011

Fantastic blog post. It has been a sad evening and morning.

• Wing Tang Wong said on October 6, 2011

I’m still feeling depressed about this. It seems that Steve Jobs has been present in the tech culture for as long as I have been in tech. We lost the heart and soul of our tech industry today. Someone who pursued his dreams and vision despite what others said. He overcame so much. He has inspired multiple generations and shown us all what good design can yield.

Others may step forward to try to fill that gaping hole his passing has left. Those are some big shoes to fill.

The only other death of a figure that has impacted me this much was when Steve Irwin died.

Our world is a darker place without Steve Jobs.

• Bernie Greene said on October 6, 2011

Very well said Zack but I’ll go you one better. I’m not an Apple fan boy. I’m very happy with a PC and have never seriously considered owning a Mac. Now the iPhone and iPad are a different matter but I don’t own either of them either. In fact I’ve never owned a single Apple product.

But I have had a profound respect for Steve Jobs for decades for how he innovated and how he inspired those around him to produce great work.

He set out to make a dent in the universe and I think he did.

• Patrick said on October 7, 2011

The news hit me like a train last night. Felt like a close friend had gone. I was in Montreal this morning and shot some pics at the Apple Store’s spontaneous memorial: http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2011/10/06/steve-and-us-1955-2011/
    Thanks for the tribute Zack. A sad day indeed.

• Michael Wachel said on October 7, 2011

One of the best innovators of our time, if not ever. Me and my 14 Apple gadgets will miss Steve.

• Frank Grygier said on October 7, 2011

Steve Jobs changed the way we perceive the world we live in and gave us the tools as he would have said to do the foolish things that your heart desires. I be willing to bet that Saint Peter is using an IPAD 2 by now. Godspeed Mr. Jobs.

• Tony Sale said on October 7, 2011

I was never one for having lots of Apple gadgets, never had an iphone never had an ipad etc etc, but I did have total respect and admiration for Steve Jobs he was a real inspiration for many people, may he rest in peace.

• Sergei F said on October 8, 2011

Great Post Zack.

• Ouddy said on October 8, 2011

To the great man who changed the world and inspired us how to play and be creative. Thanks you Mr. Steve Jobs, Wherever you are. I will be using your creation to create many more beautiful things until my time come too.

• Michael Wise II said on October 9, 2011

Steve Jobs was a modern day benjamin franklin. Like benjamin franklin the true changes on our world will continue to grow years to come. People leave footprints in the sand, making a mark for days, hours or just a few seconds. We are lucky enough to be at a time where one man has left a print in time that is more like a seed that will grow for years to come.

I am new to Apple having only jumped on the fan boy bandwagon two years ago. I have never been happier with a purchase.

• Ben said on October 10, 2011

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

…love this tribute here >>>

• richard said on October 13, 2011

Steve did a lot with his life. What are we doing with ours?

’nuff said…….

• David - Denver Wedding photographer said on October 21, 2011

So sad. I always admired his tenacity and drive to create new things. Probably would have been a great photographer if he had turned his attentions that way.

RIP Steve.