Teaching @ Gulf Photo Plus :: Dubai :: New Workshop! ::

February 9, 2009 | News • Workshop

gpp.jpg

I’m excited to announce that I will be teaching for 5 days at Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai, March 30th – April 4th! Not only will I be teaching two OneLight workshops, I am also launching my two day Photo 101 course there as well. As if that wasn’t enough work, I will be having a lecture about knowing if it is time for you to get a studio space and how to build one out and simple lighting techniques to get you started shooting in your own space. Can you say “The many uses of white seamless?:)

Dubai has been on the top of my destination wish list for a long time and now I am just a 15 hour plane ride away from it! So not only am I getting to teach in Dubai, I’m getting to teach along side Chase Jarvis, David Hobby, Vincent LaForet, Drew Gardner, Joe McNally, Bobbi Lane and others on this amazing list of photographers.

I almost didn’t take this opportunity because Meg is going to be 8 months pregnant and I’m going to be gone for 12 days. Despite her raging jealousy, she said it was absolutely stupid if I didn’t take this opportunity and she would be very mad at me if I let this one slide by. She talked me into it pretty quickly!

I will be bringing the Photo 101 course home with me as a two day or three day workshop here in the states and, possibly, the UK and Australia. The idea behind my 101 course is this… You have a camera. You might even have a web site. You know that you either want to be a part time photographer to supplement your income OR you are hoping to make this your full time job. You have a basic understanding of fstops and shutter speeds. You shoot aperture priority a good bit because you have learned about the depth of field “thing”. Your friends and family LOVE your pictures and you think, you are fairly certain, you are ready to start doing this but your understanding of the craft ends here.

Without diving into technical numbers and boring theory, I am going to be helping people lay a solid foundation of knowledge and practical skills to get started in this industry. You sure as heck won’t know everything because that is impossible. You will learn about quality of GOOD natural light and how to find it, modify it, and add to it. You will be drilled with camera skills. You will learn where to spend money in this industry and where to save. Making the most with a little is key.

My good friends over at FloSites are working on the new OneLight site as I type. That will be live in a few weeks with more info on the Photo 101 workshop and dates for the OneLight.

If you are in the Gulf or have some sky miles, you really should consider coming on out to GPP next month.

• Kevin said on February 9, 2009

Amazing! Congrats! I look forward to getting more info when the new site goes live.

• Damon said on February 9, 2009

Congratulations.

You’re an Overnight Success™ (and all it took was a bunch of years of hard work and hustling).

• David N. Beasley Jr. said on February 9, 2009

Congrats Zack. Looking forward to the new site. Have fun in Dubai and we will be looking forward to some great shots.

• Glyn Dewis said on February 9, 2009

Hey Zack … that’s just AWESOME news!!!!

Geez when you get back ‘in it’, you really do get back ‘in it’ :o )

The 101 Course sounds fantastic … and with a possible visit in the future to the UK … well, it doesn’t get better than that :o )

Take care out there and keep doing what you’re doing,

Best wishes,
    Glyn

• Chris Gillard said on February 10, 2009

Zack, Great news about Dubai and mixing with the stars.

101 course sounds really interesting and please try to do it in the UK, maybe a One Light too. Sounds like with Glyn above you have at least two customers.

Glad to see you are posting again.

• Martin Saint said on February 10, 2009

Dude, when you come to the UK I’m there. Would love to do Dubai but its a little short notice!
    Glad to see things are moving well for you.

mart

• Kit said on February 10, 2009

Zack! been a huge fan of yours since I watched your dvd. I’ll be dammed if you don’t see me in your workshop here in Dubai.

I’ll see you here!!! :)

I’ve already spoken to the guys here and will register as soon as I get their email. :)

• David Burke said on February 10, 2009

Cheers Dude! That is awesome. What a great group of guys to be along side. Congrats!

• Chris Newman said on February 10, 2009

Congrats Zach, On Dubai and the (soon to be) new kid. Having just watched your DVD, I recognize that teaching is one of your God-given talents and you are making the most of it. Keep going.

• JD said on February 10, 2009

Very Cool……I wish you great success while there! you are an inspiration to me….especially the line…..” mking the most with little is key!” that’s the story of my LIFE!….JD

• Michael G. Murphy said on February 10, 2009

Man oh man, enjoy the trip. Just make it back in time for the baby. :-) Do you think the Photo 101 course is something that you might put onto DVD someday? Take care Zack, prayers for your father. Michael Murphy & Family

• Jason said on February 10, 2009

WOW what A line up.. A aspiring photographers dream!

• Jim said on February 10, 2009

Wow. I would LOVE to go to Dubai. Just a tad bit of a flight though.

Good to have you back on the blog Zack. I’ve also been including your Dad in my prayers

• Jeff Keen said on February 10, 2009

I would be interested in hosting the Photo 101 course in the Detroit MI area

Jeff Keen

• Benji said on February 10, 2009

The 101 thing is exactly what I have been needing desperately. Sign me up now for the first on in the Atlanta area.

• Jeff said on February 11, 2009

Super, it would be great if you could stop in Canada for a 101 course…

see U

• Sarah Hendsbee said on February 11, 2009

I am SO excited to hear about your Photo 101 course!!! Sign me up!

• dan lazar said on February 11, 2009

Thanks a bunch for showing to douche bags like me how’s getting done. I sold most of my photo stuff to pay some bills but now I have to start saving for your 101 workshop.
    Do you have any dates / locations in your mind. Please come to Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area.

• lee said on February 12, 2009

Man

Your photos are f-king badass

• Tom Marriage said on February 13, 2009

Fantastic news. What a Dream Team lineup of photographers! Have a great time. All the best to you and your family.

Tom

• Dennis Boyd said on February 17, 2009

SWEEET… the Photo 101 course sounds amazing (your dvd and tutorials have encouraged this rookie to even attempt off camera lighting… big feat in it’s own :) ), can’t wait to find out when and where.

I figure… what better way to spend a holiday than one of your workshops… that’s the goal for me this year… :)

Congrats on the guest blogging at Scott Kelby too… nice to see such a big name in the industry appreciating the work you do as well as the rest of us!

• Sam Coran said on February 17, 2009

I will surely be in both of your Workshops!

(onelightworkshop and photography 101)

saw your flickr pool and amazed at the beauty of what a single light can do.

I do have the basic knowledge on photography but i really don’t know how to sell my craft. So, signing up for your class is a must for me.

Thanks and hope to learn a lot from your workshop. (^_^)

• Ed Z said on February 17, 2009

Looks sweet!

you gotta bring a workshop to Philly, man! I can hook you up with some *unbelievable* studio space for it (think 4500 sqft w/2-wall, 36′x40′ cyc, the whole 9 yards…)

• Nigel Walker said on February 18, 2009

Zack – I’ll do my damnest to get on one of your courses. With all the quality photogs that are coming it’s going to be tough to pick and choose who’s course to attend. See you in Dubai. Nigel

• Matt Hall said on February 21, 2009

WOW!! I know I am slow at learning this but Meghan is pregnant!! My wife too will be 8 months pregnant in March with our first born! Sorry, totally not photography related :)

• Jay P said on February 22, 2009

Wow awesome stuff man…

Any chance in bringing the Photo101 or onelight course to NEW ZEALAND, if you visiting our neighborhood ??

• Doug said on February 23, 2009

Dude,
    That workshop sounds almost perfect for where I’m at.

• jonathancolee said on March 11, 2009

Your site contents are really awesome and easy to read. I enjoyed my stay here. Would you be kindly visit my site in return? Thank you.