New OneLight Workshop Site Launched! ::

May 23, 2009 | News • Workshop

onelight_announce.jpg

The new OneLight Workshop site has just launched!  You’ll find all the dates and cities for the OneLight for the rest of 2009 there as well as information about our new three day intensive Photo 101 workshop. I’ve made the site with a mouse in one hand and our new baby boy, Hawke Danger Arias in the other!  Yes, Danger is his middle name. :)

Now that Hawke is here and he and Meg are doing well, we are ready to announce the schedule for the rest of the year. The new registration system for signing up is dope! Thanks to EventBrite for making such a great registration system.

www.OneLightWorkshop.com

Hope to see you at a workshop or mixer soon!

PS – The “resources” page still needs content. We are off to Grandma’s house so I’ll be working on that later tonight as well as getting to more questions from the PDN presentation post below. Have a great weekend everyone!

• Jim said on May 23, 2009

You are the best! Loved your workshop last year. Re-inspired me when I needed it. I’d love to come again, but think it best to leave the spot for someone else to benefit from both your knowledge and straight talk.

Jimbo

• Kurt said on May 23, 2009

Congrats on the new babe! Hope all is well. Glad to hear the new website is launched and look forward to checking it out. Ever plan on coming to Canada?

• Les Doerfler said on May 23, 2009

Zack…I’m torn between your two offerings.

Is there any overlap between the OneLight Workshop and the Photo 101 workshop?

I guess I’m wondering how much will you be going over lighting in the 101, or is it a completely different focus?

PS the new site looks great.

• Rory.Laubscher said on May 23, 2009

I’m sorry for posting this here, but after 3 months of I am still unable to post/reply on the onelight forum. I have sent 2 mails to admin trying to get help, but no luck. I tried now with the revamped site – still no luck. Please help.

• Bruce McCammon said on May 23, 2009

Zach… I enjoyed your Portland workshop last year and will be directing friends to your Seattle session next year. I love the photos on the new site but have to say that the red lettering on black background is just invisible for this color blind guy. Good luck on the next series of workshops.

• Matt Palmer said on May 23, 2009

Ditto what Les said about the site looking great. I’ve always liked sites with a black background. If I owned the interweb I’d ensure all sites had black bg’s.

Pretty disappointed that the UK doesn’t feature in to your plans for 2009 but I guess the planning and logistics for such an endeavour are very time consuming.

Many congrats to you and Meg on the new sprog.

• Terrence Bibb said on May 23, 2009

Hello, when I click the link it takes me back to the original one light website???

• Rob said on May 23, 2009

Zack, any chance a guy could work for his enrollment fee for the OneLight workshop? Maybe you need an assistant during the class to hold lights that maybe you’d be paying $600 for the day, and said assistant could also take part in the class? Haha, Pipedreams, I know.

I’d love to sign up but I don’t know where I’d get the money =(

Time to crunch numbers

• Ernst said on May 23, 2009

Hello Zack. Congrats to both you and Meg. Hawke Danger — way cool!

Realize you can’t answer every email but if you can find the time….

I bought and loved your One Light DVD. Saving for the July Atlanta Photo 101 (only 6 spaces left…yikes!).

Using flash in manual mode on a photo shoot whether in-studio or on-location makes sense. For me anyway. I have time to setup, try a couple shots, make an adjustment etc.

What about an event like a wedding where you’re moving around like crazy. Do you still shoot with manual flash or TTL?

Thanks
    Ernst

• Tanya said on May 23, 2009

Hello Zack,
    Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby.
    When I clicked on the link for the workshop, it took me to the old site. I would love to take OneLight again.
    Thanks
    Tanya

• Hilke said on May 23, 2009

Congrats to you and Meg on little baby Hawke!

Enjoy.

Hilke

• David said on May 24, 2009

Just love it, and congrats to you and Meg on little baby Hawke!

• zack said on May 24, 2009

For those having issues with the site have you cleared your cache? I had to hit refresh a few times before the new site reloaded.

@Bruce – That stinks. I’ll see if I can find a different color scheme.

• zack said on May 24, 2009

@Rory – I’ve had constant headaches keeping the forum maintained due to spam bots. vBulletin is getting involved this week to find out what the problem is. I apologize for the issues but I’m trying to get them resolved.

• zack said on May 24, 2009

@Matt – I’m so ready to come to the UK! It’s just a matter of keeping family and work issues straight. I can travel domestically for 2 or 3 days without a lot of problems but I’ve never been to the UK so when I come I want to be there for at least a week to 10 days. I don’t want to travel all that way to do a workshop then come home. Know what I mean? So for me to do the UK I have to find a BIG block of time to commit to it.

• Michelle said on May 24, 2009

Hi Zack, congratulations on the new baby! How’s meg?

• Goddess Leonie said on May 24, 2009

Congratulations on all your magnificent creations, Zack! :)

• TiM said on May 24, 2009

oh zack, we really need you here (in europe) =)
    maybe the uk guys should do some location scouting for you? so you don’t have to do that yourself…

btw: nice new site and most of all: good to see you and your family in good health!

cheers, TiM

• Matt Palmer said on May 24, 2009

Thanks for the reply Zack. Thats it, I feel sort of guilty now for asking.

Perhaps a fortnight holiday (or “vacation” if you really must) to the UK would be the best thing. What with work and home life you’ll be needing a break by the time this year is through!

I urge you to not just visit London and assume you’ve seen Britain although London is an amazing place.

I’ll just have to be patient and hope that 2010/2011 see’s you here spreading the onelight gospel.

• Jaroslav said on May 24, 2009

Congratulations to both of you !!! :-)

All the best for whole family!!

• Steve said on May 24, 2009

Just registered to the Sept. 101 class. Brining wife to the mixes, and driving down from PA.

Any hotels near your studio?

• Stephen said on May 24, 2009

Come to DC!

• Rory said on May 24, 2009

Thanks Zack, all sorted.
    I appreciate it.

Forgot to say congrats on the new addition to the family.
    Hope you’re getting enough sleep!

• kristi said on May 24, 2009

Congratulations on Baby Hawke!

• Sarah said on May 24, 2009

I would LOVE to come to the photo 101 class! We’re not far from ATL – are you going to do them next year too?

• Ben said on May 25, 2009

Hi Zack,
    could you actually imagine producing another onelightworkshop dvd in the future?
    best,
    Ben

• claude said on May 25, 2009

Hi Zack,

Do you plan on producing a Photo 101 dvd in the near future? It would be a great alternative for those of us who live outside of the US who can’t attend the workshop. Or is it the kind of workshop that doesn’t translate as well on dvd like the OneLight Workshop?

• chris said on May 25, 2009

Congratulations on the new baby! Enjoy!

• Adam said on May 25, 2009

Congrats on the baby Zack and Meg!

Umm.. Are you really serious about the Canada thing at the end of the FAQs? That f****** sucks!

PS: Hawke Danger Arias is possibly the coolest name… ever

• Mask Photo said on May 25, 2009

@bruce:
    how do you color-manage your photos, out of curiosity?
    or do you just shoot b/w?

• Leon said on May 26, 2009

OMG Danger that Rocks. When the switch flips in his brain when he is old enough he will thank you. “No No Danger is my middle name”

• Bree said on May 26, 2009

Welcome Hawke! Your parents gave you a great name.

• Jeff said on May 26, 2009

Congrats on the new baby boy, does that mean there will be 3 way critiques now, one from the photographer, one from the musician and one from “danger boy”? :-)

Congratulations to you and Meg.

• Abel Longoria said on May 26, 2009

I attended last years Houston workshop as a “model” (and i use that term loosely) so this year i plan to attend as a shooter!

I just signed up for Houston 10/13.

• Nigel Walker said on May 26, 2009

Hi Zack,

Have you ever consider doing a distant learning aka online version of your Photo 101 workshop? I’m sure that you’d have a huge interest and that something could be figured out regarding assignment work/critic etc. Do doubt it would take longer than a few days to run, but I’m sure you could limit attendees over the course duration. I’m sure that with 8 – 10 course students you’d end up with some pretty interesting shoots for the 4 corners of the world and I’m sure it would give you plenty of creative ideas.

Just a thought – but would be great to hear your opinion.

• Leesia said on May 27, 2009

Congrats on Baby Hawke!

I’ve been wanting to attend your workshop for a couple years now — I’m definitely one of those photogs who’s scared to death of my sb800, but i also have a couple alien bees for my in-home studio and right now have a much greater need to learn studio lighting — will what we learn on location for this workshop translate to studio lighting as well, or might I be better off starting with the Onelight DVD?

Thanks!

• brett said on May 27, 2009

why oh why nothing in the midwest ???
    :-(

• LW said on May 28, 2009

Come to DC!

• Neuffy said on May 31, 2009

Thanks for having a look at the color scheme, Zack. I, too, find reading the red-on-black text difficult due to (partial) RG colorblindness. Thankfully, your new site is text-based and doesn’t have the red-on-black embedded into images so I can just adjust it myself.

To Mask Photo: At least in my own case, I have no issues with color management. My central color vision is still good enough for bright subjects (LCDs, traffic lights, prints in good light). I may have aquired a certain taste for colder color temperatures due to my strong Blue preference (as red and green are less brilliant to me), but I’m also not doing color-sensitive work. As long as my skin tones are good, no problems. That’s easy. Even if you couldn’t figure it out by eye, so long as you pay attention to your CMYK values you’d be fine.

• Michele Zezulak said on June 3, 2009

Just wanted to say Congrats on the new “Danger” in your life-LOVE the middle name!! And THANKS for being you…I am 2 years semi-pro and still learning tons!
    Have a great day!

• michael said on June 7, 2009

Dear Zack
    If you consider going to the UK to do your workshops you should definately come to Copenhagen, Denmark while you’re in Europe.
    You would be a huge success.

• Suze said on June 12, 2009

Hey Zac,
    If you go to the UK, why not keep going right around the other side (& a bit down) to Australia! We would love to have you!!
    Or, second best, a 101 DVD. I have the One Light & it has improved my work out of sight!

• Ernst said on June 22, 2009

Miss your posts! Realize you have your hands full though.

Since buying your One Light DVD I am finally enjoying flash photography. I used to hate flash, probably because it intimidated the &*^$ out of me.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Ernst

• James Grayson said on June 30, 2009

Danger is his middle name! Man, that is so cool. Congrats to you and your family!

• Drew said on July 2, 2009

I KNOW THE TALL GUY! haha – That’s my friend Jeff Tisman. Awesome shot though man – been a fan of your work forever and looking to shoot with ya one day soon.

-Drew

• Eric said on July 18, 2009

Hope I get a chance to attend one of these one day. Must…pinch…pennies…eat…ramen…

Eric