Derrick's Hope Soap Fund + B's Photo Of The Day ::

August 15, 2009 | News • Resources

mantissues.jpg

Needless to say it has been an interesting few days on the blog here thanks to everyone jumping in on the conversations. What an amazing community we get to be a part of!So, B. and I have been emailing back and forth and with tears shedding on both sides of the conversation, he mentioned he needed a “man tissue.” I said I knew what those were. “They’re made of sand paper right?” He ran with that idea and shot the image above last night. Good going B!

Also… Good news! Derrick made his way to blog here and has been blown away. He and his family are so grateful for all of your kind words. The video was viewed over 5,000 times yesterday. Now that I have his contact information I have set up a donation fund for him so that we can all “buy some soap” from him. Derrick doesn’t have an email address so the thought of setting up an e-commerce store to actually sell the stuff isn’t really an option at this point so let’s show some love and support by virtually buying a bottle from him!

Send a dollar. Send twenty. Whatever you want. I’ll make up the difference that PayPal takes so if you Give $20 he gets $20. He knocked on a door to sell a bottle so let’s make sure that door turned into the biggest sell he has ever made!

I don’t think we have heard the last of Derrick because we are all really interested in hearing more about his story and this man has a way of speaking. My good friend and colleague, Ron Dawson, and I are talking about collaborating with Derrick on a project. We aren’t sure what that looks like but I’m sure it will be interesting!

Thanks again everyone for being part of the conversation this week. It isn’t done yet.

• andy said on August 15, 2009

Donation SENT!

As meager amount as I can afford to donate I have to say that it felt really good to hit that button!

Thanks for setting this up, Zack. I hope he sells tons of “virtual soap”!

• Carrie Viohl said on August 15, 2009

I’m just so happy that Derrick saw the blog post. It makes my heart flutter just thinking what a boost this must be to his self-esteem and hopefully, to his career.
    Derrick, if you read this, just know that there are thousands of good people out there who will be touched by your wisdom and your honesty. :)

• andy said on August 15, 2009

Oh and I have to say I love the pic! Can’t say I’ve ever seen “Man-Tissues”, but now that B has made a product for us I don’t have to be afraid to cry…lol.

• Milton Bryant said on August 15, 2009

I was more than happy to pay for this weeks lesson! Good Luck Derrick!

Milton

• Michael Sebastian said on August 15, 2009

Thank you Zack. And thank you Derrick. I’m humbled, and feel privileged to be able to “buy some soap”.

• Dana~from chaos to Grace said on August 15, 2009

All I have is my own mission fund, but I believe this is a mission of another sort I’d love to contribute to! Derrick, I wish you MANY MANY blessings! God sure is good, huh? LOL I do believe He is touching you and your life right now!

And on another note, I’ve used that soap and it really IS good! LOL

• Christos Hountas said on August 15, 2009

Thank you Zack for spearheading this. Derrick, B and Zack over these last few days you have made me see things in a different light. I’m not a writer so i have problems expressing how i feel words. But the inspiration, honestly and being “real” about ones self is simply amazing.
    I wish all of you the best of luck.
    Donation sent.

• Jeffrey Lee said on August 15, 2009

I’m sure Derrick feels like many of us who stumble upon you, Zack…very grateful for your time, effort, and generous spirit. Thanks for setting this up. I admit I kind of rolled my eyes a bit through the first few minutes of the video (sorry, jaded NY’er), but Derrick’s optimistic approach to such a hard way of life really won me over. I wish him well and I’ll be skipping my venti vanilla latte in his honor today!

• Carlos Bruno said on August 15, 2009

God bless you Zack!
    Through your hands we could received the help that many of us were needing and now, again through you he’ll be ‘paid’ for his efforts.
    I pray for all Derricks out there get their part of this also.

By the way … does this brand of tissue paper that you and B. announced here make toilet paper also? Because some (if not ALL) of the politicians are deserving to try it to reach real tears.
    But it’s ask too much to your ‘power’ to fix the wrong things. ;-) > (this is your beard … hehehehe)

• daniela said on August 15, 2009

Thank you so much for this virtual-soap idea, Zack. It’s an honor to being a part of that wonderful community here on your blog!
    (BTW: I’m thankful for being a girl, allowed to use soft tissues! I needed lots of them the last days, thanks to you, Zack and Derrick :-) )

• Eric E said on August 15, 2009

Thank you for doing this. I’m gladly sending money and prayers. If you have the time someday, it’d be great to see an update on his progress.

• Stefan said on August 15, 2009

Thx Zack, B, Derrick!

Just bought some soap.

//Stefan

• christine said on August 15, 2009

happy to buy virtual soap; but if he ever gets the ecommerce going, I’d probably buy it there, too. from what I saw in your video, it looks like it works!

• Valerie said on August 15, 2009

Oh, I was soo happy to see that you posted this! After seeing the original video all I could think about was wanting to buy some of Derricks soap.

Thank you for making it possible.

Thank you Derrick.

• Claire said on August 15, 2009

Perfect! Glad this got set up.

Donated :)

Looking forward to seeing where this all goes. All the best to everyone.

• jen berry said on August 15, 2009

inspirational hard working people make me teary eyed. darn it. darn it Derrick.

You rock Derrick. Keep inspiring. Keep working hard. Keep on keeping me motivated.

can’t wait to see a collaborative project with Zack.

I actually “need” this product because i just spilled a whole cup of coffee all over white carpet. ha.

Off to paypal.

• Ashley said on August 15, 2009

Thanks for setting this up Zack!

Good things happen to good people and there is a reason Derrick knocked on your door that afternoon…

Sending a little donation is absolutely the least I can do for the amount of inspiration and life-long wisdom Derrick has shared with us. I will definitely hold it close to my heart.

I don’t think he realizes how powerful his words truly are.

I am grateful for him, and for you for providing the outlet to share his wisdom with us.

Everything happens for a reason.

• Jason said on August 15, 2009

I threw a few dollars at ya.

• Tony said on August 15, 2009

Zack, not only was Derrick sent by God, but you sir were as well…to all of us. I see your business more as a ministry than a business. Keep up the good work and watch God bless you even more!!

• Jason Kolsch said on August 15, 2009

All I can do is sit here, watching the curser blink in the comment box, I can’t figure out a way to express how this makes me feel.

As soon as I paid, I’m going to donate… and I’m excited about it.

Thank you everybody.

• Steve Kalman said on August 15, 2009

I’m a lawyer. I generally don’t but into other’s affairs, but this is short and sweet. Talk to your accountant before you withdraw a penny from that account. You definitely DO NOT want to make a taxable (to you) transaction, especially if you find out after you’ve given the money to D.

• Matt said on August 15, 2009

Hi,

I’m not normally the type to donate to any form of charity, but after watching learning from Derrick’s point of view I thought it was a worthy cause.

But when do I get my soap? That stuff looked awesome… :D

- Matt

• Lisa Russo said on August 15, 2009

Done. And thank YOU for the opportunity to do something that made me feel good today. :)

• Alex Gardner said on August 15, 2009

Thank you.

Two simple words that by themselves can’t begin to express how much of an impact your last few posts have made to me.

I’m lucky to be where I am and to have what I have however yesterday, like every so often, I lose sight of that. The world comes crashing down around me and I just want to escape it all somehow.

Derrick reminds me to keep driving forward. To remember the plan and keep striving for that dream…you remind me to (coin a popular phrase of a friend) Harden the F*** Up!

I too want to share a coffee with my missus at 10am for the rest of my days.

Thanks Zack.

Alex Gardner

• neil clarke said on August 15, 2009

donation sent, an hope derrick can soon afford his house an can achieve his goals, this must be o so surreal to him, what seemed to start as a normal day has become a life changing event, all because of zack, meg, an b,

now iv bought my soap, Zack, were can i buy a one light t-shirt/hoody/zip hoody so i can keep it sparkly clean.

• Ben said on August 15, 2009

Thanks for everything you do — was happy to make a donation.

• Chad Belinfanti said on August 15, 2009

• Kim said on August 15, 2009

From my friend Chad after viewing the video:
    “Derrick is one of those rare people who would rather dig himself out using the tools available, rather than have something handed to him. To earn it. His enthusiasm is contagious and well worth the $20 price for the bottle. I gotta say that this helps me too because too often we judge (and mis-judge) people and miss out on the opportunity to learn. No matter who, everyone has something to teach, but not everyone is willing to learn.”

• Chrisdavid42 said on August 15, 2009

Nice photo B!! Glad to see some immediate results. :)

@Zack I have been very moved by this whole exchange. For what it’s worth, I am encouraged to add my bit to the story as well. It is on my wordprocesser as I write this comment now.

• Kathryn said on August 15, 2009

Little did he know he would touch a girls heart all the way around the world in little old New Zealand!

Donation sent :)

• Pete said on August 15, 2009

done. best virtual soap I ever bought – thank you!

From down here in New Zealand, thanks for the timely slap around the face – will now stop complaining and get doing.

This kind of message isn’t just about photography – my whole family will be seeing this video!

• Scott said on August 15, 2009

Several years ago I bought some soap from a door to door salesman who had the same infectious pitch, and I couldn’t help but notice the similar positive attitude between both of them. I don’t know if my experience involved an outreach program, but it doesn’t matter. I hope what I could give to Derrick helps.
    These are the moments when my faith in God are strengthened. Thank you Zack for showing all of us that this is God’s love.

• Goddess Leonie said on August 15, 2009

Thanks for being you Zack.
    And thanks for you being you, Derrick.

Donated, with delight.

• Furanku said on August 15, 2009

B’s stories and Derrick’s attitude have profoundly touched me.
    It’s been thought-provoking, and a good kick-in-the-…. ;)
    Derrick has my donation, but more: my support and my admiration. Don’t give up and we won’t.

“And we shall never fail”

• H said on August 15, 2009

Chalk me up for 90 houses!

I really like Derek. What else can you say, he’s really in my top 10 likable people I’ve never met. He’s just likable. How could he fail? He can’t! He’s got his system down and no matter how many houses he hits, as long as he’s positive he’s going to be successful. I’m so happy for him.

B, love the photograph, got a chuckle here!

• Marly said on August 15, 2009

Please tell Derrick that he should change professions and become a motivational speaker. I think that is his calling. I teared up almost instantly. I truly believe that there is a shortage of people who can go out there and speak to others and motivate them to get to their next positive step in their lives.

• Christie Hobson said on August 15, 2009

Derrick, you give me hope.

• Frank said on August 15, 2009

Thanks for setting this up Zack. Thanks Derrick..my purchase is in. Best wishes…

• Paul said on August 15, 2009

Totally worth $20. Thanks B, D and Z!

• dsr said on August 15, 2009

OK. Me too on the virtual soap.

• Derek said on August 16, 2009

I’ll take a bottle of soap and 2 boxes of man tissues.

• Jessica Sweeney said on August 16, 2009

Considering all the soap I’ve bought that I didn’t really need, from people I knew nothing about, I consider this soap a bargain!

Derrick, you’re awesome. Thanks for your words yesterday. My favorite part was when you talked about your small goals lining up with your big goals. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it quite like that, and it really made me stop and think about if my short term and long term goals really do line up.

Anyway, I’m off to buy some soap! (From Thailand, no less! You’re an international sensation.)

• Michaelcim said on August 16, 2009

Derrick, you are a good man. Thanks for inspiring me. You just sold me another bottle of soap.

Zach, God bless you for setting this up. I’m happy that I came across your blog one day and kept reading it.

B, hang in there buddy, it seems to be crowded on the dock. (yeah, I’m there too, guess it is time to jump…)

• Takki said on August 16, 2009

Great stuff going on ! May God bless you all !!!

• Chris Gillard said on August 16, 2009

Derrick, you’re a great guy and an inspiration.
    Thanks for the soap.
    Chris

p.s. Zack .. Is the video available as a download?
    I can think of a few people I would like to get to view it over the next few weeks, starting with my teenage kids!

• Pat said on August 16, 2009

Never imagined I could be enthusiastic about buying soap. Thanks Derrick!

Now, I’ll try to live up to your example.

• Marla said on August 16, 2009

AMAZING !!!!!!!!!

I have chills, literally. Thank you both so very much for inspiring.

Just a few days ago, I was ready to give up my dreams, put my equipment up for sale and today I view the video…

Just wow.

Derrick, you remind me of my husband in so many ways. God has a purpose for you. and I beleive, you’re on the right path. Keep up that positive attitude, keep inspiring many of your words have touched me on more ways than one. Good luck!!

• Tom K. said on August 16, 2009

I’m in for $20.00. Derrick is an inspiration.

• Roland S. said on August 16, 2009

just been reading all the comments and watched the video with derrick. How nice and uplifting.

Everybody makes mistakes in their lives, but we don’t always learn from them.

Derrick obviously does not fall in that category, he has learned a lesson and has decided to turn his life around and make an impact. I just don’t know if he realises how much of an impact he has made with his sales pitch.

Regardless of what comes from this blog post, he will make it very far. I wish him all the best.

Donation made from the other side of the pond.

• Melody said on August 16, 2009

To me, this is what humanity should be about. I am so proud to be a part of something so wonderful for Derrick and his family!

I too have young kids and now the daily struggle of putting food on the table, but there is something amazing about the SPIRIT Derrick has!

Thank you Zack for being your wonderful self. God has his hand in all of this!

• michele said on August 16, 2009

looks like he knocked on the right door. wow. love this! what spirit he has and what a blessing for you to give him your time and hear/share his message. prayers and donation coming his way…may his message help the next person.

• Sissel said on August 16, 2009

God is awesome and never fails us. Look at how many people were touched by your prayer to help others. It’s astounding and so fun to witness first hand. I was hoping you would set up a donation for Derrick. Donations on the way. I was so grateful for what he was willing to share. It is worth any amount. I would love to buy the real stuff too when he is able to set up his e-commerce and knock on a few more doors. Thanks Zack. Please keep us posted.

• Dave H said on August 17, 2009

Derrick you Rock! Never.. ever give up! God bless and best wishes. Please keep us to date with your success.

• Kristi said on August 17, 2009

What luck, no wait…make that Divine intervention, that Derrick knocked on your door and you, being the amazing being you are, chose to truly make something of this. Derrick stated that he does not believe in coincidence….this was bigger than that. Thanks to you both for the great dose of inspiration! I remember about six years ago, guys in similar situations knocked on my door, and I bought soap then….and I am buying it now. Good luck to you, Derrick….though you truly will not need luck with the tremendous character you currently possess.

• Filipe Ferreira said on August 17, 2009

Zack and Derrick, I just want to thank you bout for the inspiration you are. I can’t stop watching the video and feel inspired to pursue my dream. I think this is the best “soap” I have ever bough!

And Derrick, your words reached Europe, more specifically Portugal, were I live.

Once more, thanks to bout of you!

• Rosaura said on August 17, 2009

life is so surprising sometimes…. i love seeing the love and community that you’ve created here, zack. i feel inspired and blessed and full of positivity. derrick and b, thank you for your courage and strength for pressing send and knocking on those doors. all of this interaction and support makes me feel more connected to life and more human. thank you all again. i bought some soap just now too! :)

• Jon M. said on August 17, 2009

Donation sent! I really was inspired by this video and I hope the small seed of money I plant with Derrick will help him to continue to plant seeds of inspiration in whatever he does!

• Dana E said on August 17, 2009

AMAZING!! Absolutely AMAZING!! I’ve posted the link on my FB page as well!!! Thank you Zach, B, and Derrick for the reminder that everything takes time, patience, work, dedication, and belief. THANK YOU!!!

• John N. said on August 17, 2009

Worth every dollar spent!!!
    Thanks to both of you.

• Rich Hinton said on August 18, 2009

I’ve gladly bought my virtual soap. “Guaranteed to clense the soul and leave you feeling good about yourself all day long”!

I wish Derrick all the best and can’t wait to see the next installment. You soooooo have to film him again. How about a motivational guest blog Wednesday…?

• linda said on August 18, 2009

Felt great donating yesterday. Yep, I’m back to re-read the last 3 days’ blogs again. Can’t wait until I’m home from vacation in Mammoth when I’ll get a good streaming on the video.
    Thanks for continuing to be my inspiration Zach and thanks Derrick.

• Mike said on August 18, 2009

Donated. Thank you Zak, B., and Derrick. This has been a great day for me.

-Mike

• Ning @ Black Cat White Cat said on August 19, 2009

I didn’t think twice and just clicked on “donate”. Good soap, Derrick!

• Bob M said on August 20, 2009

Derrick, Zack – thank you. I feel so much more connected. I’ve sent everyone I know to your site to be part of this. Let’s keep this going…

Thanks for the soap!

• Jason said on August 20, 2009

MMMMM Soap.

Thank you Derrick and Zack.

• Leah said on August 20, 2009

Zack and Derrick. Thanks.
    Thanks for being open and ready to share. Thanks for being real. And thanks for being willing to help others.
    You guys make the world better :)

• Jodie said on August 20, 2009

wow. i am beyond tired and when i saw this i almost skimmed it without pausing to read. but then i did start reading. except i didn’t want to spend the time to watch the video. but then i did watch the video and with tears streaming down my face i reached for a soft LADY tissue and made a donation.

god totally brought derrick to your door that day. no matter how many millions of houses he’s sold soap to, it was all to get to your door. i wholeheartedly believe that.

i can’t wait to hear the total number of donations that were made for his virtual soap!

god is good and the way He is using blogs these days just makes me so so happy! zack… you are amazing. thanks for sharing this.

• Scott Zagarino said on August 20, 2009

Amazing story. Please ping us so we can stay in contact.

• heather said on August 22, 2009

zach, you have an almost magical way of finding inspiration in the most unlikely places and your drive to share that inspiration with others is so deeply appreciated. i’m so happy to see that B jumped in and began to create and that derrick has an outlet to share his knowledge, his hopes and his dreams. best wishes to all of you.

• Chris said on August 24, 2009

“When life gives you lemons make lemonade.” This movie trailer has inspired me a lot even though I have never worked for an ad agency directly, but maybe it will inspire some of you as well.

• Mom of Three said on August 25, 2009

B – love the box of tissues. That’s some good stuff!

Derrick – May God rain his blessings down on you. Keep a humble heart, keep giving 100% and being a wonderful teacher to your son.

Zack – you are blessed to be chosen by God to be used in such a way as to bring inspiration to many.

• Tim said on September 20, 2009

Inspiration is, indeed, all around us. Unfortunately, it is something that most of us are oblivious to. We get caught up in our mundane, everyday lives, and the inspiration passes us by, unrecognized.

Your talent is in finding meaning, inspiration, and value in life’s everyday experiences–and communicating that inspiration in an unparalleled manner.

This video, and the one that included your father, Ikea sticks, etc., elicited a visceral response in me. I was moved, and in awe of your ability to inspire people.

My intention with this comment is not to blow smoke up your ass, but to let you know that you have a certain genius and talent that touches other people. Call it divine inspiration, whatever…… You made a difference in my life, and I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks. Tim

• LifetimePortrait.com said on November 10, 2009

Very inspired by both you and Derrick.
    Thanks for showing that there’s still
    some good in this scary world.
    I’m very happy to be part of this.
    I’ll be sure to send the link to everyone I know.

Thanks,