My Next creativeLIVE Class :: Things You Need To Know
I’m really excited about the next creativeLIVE weekend I’ll be teaching. I’ll be teaching April 29th, 30th, and May 1st. If you aren’t familiar with creativeLIVE the deal goes down like this. You can tune in and watch it live… for free! If you like it and want to see it again, you can buy the download. If you think it’s crap then you never have to pay a dime for it. Broke and can’t afford anything, then take the weekend off and grab a notebook.
The first class I taught was all about studio lighting. This class is going to be based more around a theme than one specific aspect of shooting. It’s built off of a talk I give called “Stuff you need to know to be a photographer”. That’s a one hour talk that I’m turning into a three day class. It’s almost a top 10 things you need to know kind of class but it won’t suck like most top 10 photography lists do.
So many of you have requested a class about business. Many requested natural light. Plenty of you want strobe + ambient. All of you want more “client interaction” and posing guidelines. Each of these could be a weekend class but I only have one weekend this year I can do a CL event so I’m going to open a fire hydrant on you and get a number of things covered. The creativeLIVE crew is already telling me to plan on staying within X hours of teaching each day and, well, they should know better than that. If you aren’t going to purchase the download then you better pull up a comfy chair to the computer cause it’s gonna be on like Donkey Kong that weekend.
I’m going to start with the basics and move into intermediate and advanced concepts and techniques.
Here is a rough outline of how the weekend is going to go down… (Note that live shooting will be a large part of each day)
#1 – Know Your Camera
- Aperture / Shutter Speed / ISO
- Camera skills
- Considerations when purchasing new cameras
#2 – Know Your Glass
- Lens selection is one of the most important things you do as a photographer
- Aperture isn’t the only thing that effects depth of field
- Perspective expansion & compression
#3 – Know Your Subject
- Subject interaction and direction
- Knowing the needs of your subjects
- Contributing your own vision to a project
#4 – Know Your Light
- Available light, continuous light, small strobes, big strobes
- Creating moods
#5 – Know Your Limits
- Working within the limits of the gear you own
- Pushing the limits of your gear
#6 – Creativity
- Most people can see. Few have vision
- Making the most out of a little
- Simple exercises to expand your creativity
#7 – Vision & Style
- Your photography and your business both require it
- Zack’s take on Jeremy Cowart’s 90 minute portfolio
#8 – Courage
- Fear of gear, clients, business, marketing, other’s opinions will kill you
- Live critique
#9 – Business & Marketing
- How I did it wrong
- How I’m learning to do it correctly
- Branding sucks. Don’t worry about it right now.
- Stop being shy
#10 – Service & Balance
- A transparent Q&A session with Zack and his wife Meghan on how photography, business, and family are both a blessing and a curse.
NOTE :: As of the initial posting of this information, creativeLIVE does not have this listed on their site yet. I’m working on getting my stuff to them and they are working on getting that stuff on their site so please sit tight and give them a day or so to get all the crap they are waiting for from me on to their site. You’ll then be able to sign up in advance for the free weekend and I’m sure they’ll have some sort of pre-sale on the download.
I think Meg needs to finish off Sunday evening with playing a few songs for all of us and we’ll all sit back, listen to her music, and have a beer. What do you think?
So that’s the basic run down of the weekend. Some of the order/titles/etc may change around depending on the logistics making this happen. Want to be part of the live studio audience? There are very few spots (like 4 to 6) so follow the directions in the video above and send your video our way.
Have questions? Want to see something covered that you don’t see in the list above? Hit me in the comments.